Macintosh computers are given the nickname ‘Mac.’ Therefore, all the Macintosh computers made by Apple Inc are referred to as ‘Mac.’ Mac apple computer runs on macOS. They are known for their user-friendly interface. They are very popularly used among graphic & web designers, students, and blue-collar workers. They have many variations, which include MacBook Air, MacBook Pro (13″ & 16″), iMac 24″, iMac 27″, Mac Pro, and Mac mini.
An IP address is an exclusive address that pinpoints a device on the internet or a local network. IP stands for “Internet Protocol.” An example would be 192.168.0.100. It is a set rule that governs the data format sent through the local network or internet.
The IP address provides information on the devices’ location. This helps the internet to differentiate between different websites, computers, and routers. Thereby allowing easy transfer of data between devices on a network. Do you own a Netgear Router? If yes, then follow this website (https://routerlogin.mobi/netgear-router-firmware-update/) to update your Netgear Router’s Firmware. The best way you can update is by following our website and configuring your settings accordingly.
A set of numbers that are separated by periods is an IP address. Ip Addresses are written in a group of four digits. The collection of numbers has to range only from 0 to 255. So, the IP address can vary between 0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255. An IP address cannot be given at random. They are provided by the Internet Assigned Number Authority (IANA).
CHANGING IP ADDRESS
One might have many reasons to change the IP address. It could include improving the overall security and privacy while browsing. Changing the IP address would prevent a person from being attacked by other users who are targeting their IP address, and it could also give a persona a new identity. Or, to have a lag-free gaming experience, one could change the IP address through a gaming proxy server. Also, changing the IP address to another country gives better search results concerning that country’s local publications.
According to US law, it is LEGAL to change the IP address. It is legal to do so when a person uses it to protect ones’ online security and the scenarios mentioned above. According to the US Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, it is illegal if a person changes the IP address to impersonate a person or a company. It is also unlawful to change the IP address to access a banned website.
METHODS TO CHANGE THE IP ADDRESS IN MAC
There are four ways to change an IP address on a Mac.
Changing the IP address using a VPN or any other proxy server.
The full form of VPN is a virtual private network. Changing the IP address could be done by merely downloading a VPN app. As you download a VPN app, you can select any country, state, or city. After choosing the place, one will have a completely different IP address. This new IP address shows the device’s location originating from the selected country, state, or city.
Downloading and setting up VPN
- On your Mac home screen, tap on the App Store to open it.
- Click on the search bar in the bottom right-hand corner of the display. Then select the search box.
- Type in the VPN app (example: Nord VPN), download it to the device, and confirm the installation of the app.
- Once the app is installed. Run the app. Register and pay for the app that needs a subscription.
Mac devices have a built-in VPN option. This could be manually configured using the following steps:
- Click on the apple icon present on the top left corner of the screen and select system preferences.
- Click on the network icon.
- Click on the plus sign button which is at the bottom left-hand corner.
- Click on the interface option and select VPN from the dropdown menu.
- Select the VPN protocol under the VPN type.
- Next, name the VPN connection and add that to the service name.
- Click on create.
- Fill in the server details like server address and account name. Your VPN service will provide this.
- Click on authentication settings, enter the password and the shared secret provided by the VPN service. Then click ok.
- Click apply in the bottom right side corner and select the connect option.
- Once done, click on the disconnect button.
Unplugging the router to change the IP address.
Changing the IP address is one of the easiest and fastest ways to change Mac devices’ existing IP addresses. For this method, one should walk to their router and unplug it. Keep it unplugged for at least five minutes. Later plug the router back in and refresh the website to ensure the IP address has changed.
When we unplug the router, we are making the router forget ones’ device and making the router think a new device has connected hence giving the device a unique IP address.
NOTE: sometimes, after unplugging, one might have to leave the router unplugged for a whole night. Or repeat the process of unplugging and plugging the router a couple of times.
Updating IP Address automatically.
The Mac IP address can be provided automatically to the device by using Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol.
Steps to update the IP address automatically
- Click on the Apple icon on the top left-hand corner of the display.
- Click on system preferences followed by network and then advanced.
- Select the network connection of choice from the list.
- Click the Configure IPv4 pop-up menu.
- Select the DHCP option.
Changing IP address manually
The Mac IP address can be changed manually by ISP or by using the IP address provided by the network administrator.
Steps to update the IP address manually
- Click on the apple logo button present on the top left-hand corner of the display. A dropdown menu will appear.
- Select system preferences.
- Click on the network, then on the network the user is using. This is present on the left of the sidebar.
- Click the advanced option present on the bottom left corner of the screen.
- Select the TCP/IP tab.
- Click the dropdown menu alongside the configure IPv4 and opt for manually.
- Enter the IP address provided by the network administrator.